translation

Faith Wigzell fwigzell at SSEES.AC.UK
Sat Mar 3 16:24:17 UTC 2001

works for translation or retranslation:

I should love to see Leskov's _Soboriane_ retranslated. The 1924
translation leaves a good deal to be desired. The work is unjustly
neglected, and were a new translation to appear, I could teach it on my MA
19thC novel course which includes students whose Russian is not up to the
original. A Leskov story which has not been translated, but is, in my view,
worth doing is _Zhitie odnoi baby_

Personally I would also like to see Mel'nikov-Pecherskii's _V lesakh_
translated. A far as I know it never has been. Of course the literary
quality of the work is well below Leskov's 'khronika' but it presents
considerable ethnographic interest and is certainly good in parts. Others,
I suspect, may disagree here.

Faith Wigzell
Department of Russian
SSEES