Maxwell's actions

John Schillinger jschill at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Mar 7 22:51:50 UTC 2001

    Shock and a sense of betrayal mark the responses from colleagues in
Russian language and literature programs--how could one of our own do
this?  Emily may be right, there may be more to this than what we've
seen so far; but other reasons or not, the potential impact on LCT's
alone is something to be concerned about.  Much easier to eliminate the
many non-tenured faculty who (all-too-often) typically teach LCT's at
our institutions, without having to worry about those tenure lines in
other languages where the enrollments are higher.  But I don't
anticipate a rush to programs in Moscow or other LCT centers around the
world for the  instruction that would be missing in those languages.
This is not an action that will go unnoticed by deans and higher
administrators around the country, who are looking for ways to show
success in revenue-centered management....

John Schillinger

Dept. of Language and Foreign Studies

4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20016-8045

Phone: 202/885-2395 Fax 202-885-1076

Weekend phone 540/465-2828 Fax 540/465-2965