Help with "Three Sisters"

George Mitrevski mitrege at AUBURN.EDU
Thu Mar 8 17:37:26 UTC 2001

Hi folks.

Auburn University theater department is staging "Three Sisters", and they need
help with some period culture issues. I realize that this is a tall order, but
any help will be appreciated. You may send your replies to the director
Daydrie Hague (hagueda at mail.auburn.edu), or directly to me. My competence on
this is limited to whatever is in "Land of the Firebird".

1. Some of the questions we have refer to social greetings
amongst the gentry: men to men, officers to civilians, women to women (kiss
on both cheeks?) men to women (hand shakes hand kissing) Do officers in
uniform cross their legs when sitting?

2. Also beards- is there social significance involved in the choice of facial
hair?

3. Duels? What were the customs? Why did they continue after they had been
outlawed?

4. What is the precise meaning of meschane and what does that term infer?

Thanks.

George.