cross-cultural language use

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Sat Mar 10 21:42:09 UTC 2001

(1) *For all the world*
This is an unfortunate generalization.  In fact, not all the world
used *Russia*
as a synonym for the *USSR.*

(2) *to have to reply to such stupidity*
Those for whom the USSR was not synonymous with Russia do not deserve
to be accused of stupidity. In hindsight, they were clearly much wiser.

Natalia Pylypiuk

///////
(1)
>Date:         Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:10:26 +0600
>From: Igor Silantev <silantev at sscadm.nsu.ru>
>Subject:      "mistake" and mistake

>There is sometimes real and deep difference in usage of the same words
>in different cultural contexts. The last case shows this very
>distinctly: during the whole Soviet period "Russia", unfortunately,
>was a word indicating the notion of "USSR" for all the world but not
>for the Russia itself. Thus, the expression "Kiev, it was still part of
>Russia" is quite correct (!) from the point of using the word "Russia"
>in the SENSE of "USSR", and, of course, incorrect from the point of
>the proper MEANING of the word. Let's catch and consider such an
>interesting pragma-semantical cases of cross-cultural language usage
>from the professional linguistic point of view, and not mix up them
>with real mistakes.

(2)