Chronicle article

Emily Tall mllemily at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Sun Mar 11 18:08:54 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues:
    For those of you who have been following the discussion on the
Chronicle article about the closing of the language programs at Drake
University, I am passing on the information below which I got from David
Maxwell, the president of Drake.
    David said the following: 1) the program had experienced a dramatic
decline in enrollments and majors for a decade; 2) there was a
devastating external review; 3) the dean had been trying for 5 years to
resuscitate the program (including faculty development funds, etc.) but
his efforts were resisted; 4) the dept. was given an ultimatum almost 2
years ago to develop a strategic plan to address the issues, and failed
to respond. 5) finally, David did not intend this as a model for others.
He also wants to point out that this was not a "presidential decision,"
although he takes responsibility for it; it was the result of nearly a
year of committee deliberations and was difficult, painful, and
frustrating.
    David is writing a response to the Chronicle editor.
    I trust that you all, like me, will be glad to know that reason has
not been completely abandoned in higher ed. Everyone should keep in mind
the scenario, though. When tenured faculty members are perceived as
"uncooperative," administrators can just shut down the program.
    Regards to all. Emily Tall