testing (i.e., NOT a test message)

Loren Billings billings at KMUTT.AC.TH
Tue Mar 13 23:36:47 UTC 2001

Lisa (and fellow list members),

I (and perhaps others) deleted your first message thinking that
someone was sending a test message to the list. I've therefore
re-posted the query with an addition to the subject line. Hopefully
others will respond this time.

In any event, you heard from Chaput, Rifkin, and Robin, three of the
most respected names in that field. Others you might contact are Frank
Miller (Columbia U.), Cynthia Martin (at U.Md.), and Tom Garza (U.Tx.)
whose email addresses I don't have handy. I'm sure there are others
about whom I'm unaware.

Best,  --Loren Billings

P.S.:  Please do not send mail to me, but rather to Lisa <lclittle at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU>.

Lisa Little wrote:

> three answers almost immediately and no more after that. I assume
> that this is partly due to the fact that "since Russian is not a huge
> program" (as Patricia Chaput says) and there is always the danger
> that a Russian department may be eliminated, we in the profession are
> more concerned at the moment with attracting students than with
> testing them.
>
> I would like to thank these colleagues for responding so quickly and
> would still love to hear from others.
>
> Lisa Little
>
> Dear fellow SEELANGERS:
>

> I am currently working on a testing project at the Berkeley Language
> Center and would like to find out, if possible, what kinds of formal
> testing programs (placement, achievement, exit exams, OPIs, etc.), if
> any, exist at your institutions. You can reply off-list if you
> prefer, and I will compile all the answers to send to the list. (So
> please let me know if you do not want to be included.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa Little
> Russian Language Coordinator
> University of California, Berkeley

[remainder of Lisa's posting snipped]

--

Loren A. BILLINGS, Ph.D. <billings at kmutt.ac.th>

Department of Applied Linguistics
School of Liberal Arts [office: room 207]
King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi
Pracha U-Tit Road, Thungkru, Ratburana
Bangkok 10140 THAILAND