Fedorovna, Alekseevna

Giampaolo Gandolfo gpgandolfo at IOL.IT
Sun Mar 18 17:05:33 UTC 2001

        The first Romanov zar was called Fedorov, because her mather
blessed him before the icon of the Virgin called Fedorovskaja, and
likewise Peter III, raised in Germany, was called Fedorovic.
So Paul's I wife was called Fedorovna, and Nicolas' I, Aleksander's
III and Nicholas' II wives were also Fedorovna, as a few other
foreign spouses of Russian grand dukes.
But Catherine II and Luise (Aleksander's I wife), after conversion to
Othodoxy were named Alekseevna. Why Alekseevna?
        Can anybody tell me who this Aleksey was (or might be)?
Mine is just curiosity (I am not engaged in any particular research)
Thank you!
                        Giampaolo Gandolfo