Petersburg accommodation

Charles Price charlesprice_50 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 22 18:00:49 UTC 2001

Alla,

I remember finding that the International Youth Hostel
in St Petersburg is overpriced, and found two better
value alternatives.

1.
Octyabr (at the end of Nevsky Prospect). It is big and
expensive looking, but the rates for sharing a twin
(with ensuite) were surprisingly good (I think it
worked out about 10 USD per person)

2.
Still better was a private room agency advertised by a
babushka standing at the main train station with a
sign saying "accommodation" around her neck. I got a
really good room right in the centre and it worked out
at about 7 USD per night.
The specific details of this (I think) are in the
Lonely Planet guide to Russia, which I recommend.
Their web site is www.lonelyplanet.com, but I am not
sure how much of the print version is uploaded onto
the net.

Charles

<< Dear Folks,

My friend and I have made arrangements to spend two
weeks in Russia at the
end of May/the beginning of June. Unfortunately, the
lodging/hotel rates in
St. Petersburg prove more than we anticipated. We
would appreciate any advice
on where to inquire about accommodations in St.
Petersburg for a week.
Ideally, something clean and pleasant, with a private
bath, off Nevsky, near
the river would suit us wonderfully, but beggars...

Thank you.

Alla Nedoresow

Alla Nedoresow

102 School Lane