Contemporary Russian culture

Allan Reid russky at UNB.CA
Tue Mar 27 19:30:08 UTC 2001

Greetings

I have been looking at, but have not yet worked through (summer project)
"The Cambridge Companion to Modern Russian Culture", ed Nicholas Rzhevsky,
1998.  Individual topical chapters are by very well-chosen experts (D.
Likhachev on Orthodoxy, J. Bowlt on art, C. Kelly on popular culture, etc),
and the approach blends historical background and tradition with
contemporary  experience.  All the topics one would want seem to be there,
the bibliography is excellent, there is a filmography, and I suspect this
would be a perfect core text for an honours-level course.

Good luck

allan reid

At 02:45 PM 3/26/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear friends:
>I am planning to teach a course on contemporary Russian culture as an Honors
>course at the 300-level, probably in the coming spring.  I am trying to put
>together a reading list this week.  Since I have not taught such a course
>recently, I would like help in putting together a required and recommended
>reading list.  If there are videos, or movies that would enhance the
>content, please do suggest.  Any kind of advice is welcome.  Please email me
>off the list.  Thanks,  Radha

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Allan Reid

Professor of Russian
Chair, Dept of Culture and language Studies

PO Box 4400
University of New Brunswick
Fredericton, NB
E3E 1A9

Tel:    (506) 454-8649  Fax:    (506) 447-3166

http://www.unb.ca/web/arts/Culture_Lang/