drivers and/or transfers

Elisabeth Ghysels ElisabethG at YUCOM.BE
Sat May 5 21:53:09 UTC 2001

I would like to counterbalance a bit the feelings towards Moscow taxis
implied by the question by Alla and the answer by Liza Ginzburg. I doubt
that you have to expect any form of harm by taking a taxi in Moscow,
compared to any other city, with the sole exception, that you will pay too
much. And whether you see this as a very serious problem depends on the
attitude of course. We arrived in Sheremetjevo-2 on (orthodox) Christmas eve
and accepted an offer by a private taxi (there were no official ones); the
man drove us to the next metro station (don't miss the experience of the
Moscow metro, as far as I'm concerned the best and (!) the most esthetical
of all metro services in the world) and on our way he told us many
interesting things about his live in Moscow, about concerts to visit and
about church services. When we had to leave Moscow again we took an official
taxi from the metro station to the airport (there are always official taxis
available in this direction, and there reliability is proverbial); for this
trip we paid only one third of the price that we had to pay the private taxi
in the opposite direction, but we weren't even angered about that; it seemed
a moderate price for his friendliness and a cheerful way to contribute our
bit to redistribution (more cheerful than paying taxes etc..).
Greetings,

Elisabeth & Nikolaus
Belgium