Info request -- OCS church inscriptions

Hoyte & Elena King babyaking at STRATOS.NET
Mon May 7 02:51:27 UTC 2001

"David E. Crawford" wrote:

> Can anyone on the list recommend a good, illustrated book depicting
> (and hopefully explaining how to interpret!) decorative textual
> Russian Orthodox church inscriptions?  I found them difficult to
> read during my visit to Russia in 1999.  I presume most of them are
> written in OCS, but aside from the language differences the mere
> print style was a challenge to decipher as well.  Rumor had it that
> Khaburgayev's "Staroslavyanskiy Yazyk" addressed this issue, but it
> isn't covered in my recently-acquired 1974 edition;  is the 1986
> version better in this regard?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> Visit the Cyrillic for Windows 98 web page:
> http://www.qsl.net/kd4whz/russian
> David E. Crawford
> Titusville, Florida
> United States of America
> 28.5144N 80.8417W
> dec1 at cfl.rr.com
> FAX/voicemail:   530-504-9257
> ICQ:             2588570
>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

There is a history of Russian Orthodox iconography called: "Osnovi
Ikonografii Drevnerusskoj Zhivopisi" ("The Fundamentals of Early Russian Icon
Writing"). This is the text used in Russia to teach iconography.  It is
readily available in Russia and may be in some libraries in the US. If you
like, I can sell you a copy of the manuscript from my English translation
that no one is interested in publishing.  Be the first buyer!

Hoyte King