2nd Chicago Conference on Caucasia

Howard I. Aronson hia5 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed May 9 17:23:04 UTC 2001

CALL FOR PAPERS

THE SECOND

CHICAGO CONFERENCE ON CAUCASIA

will be held on the campus of the University of Chicago

THURSDAY-SATURDAY 8-11 MAY 2001

We are issuing a call for papers dealing with the languages and
cultures of Caucasia. There will be a Linguistics Session and a
Culture Session.

For the Linguistics Session, we solicit papers dealing with languages
presently or historically spoken in the Caucasus. Topics dealing with
any area of linguistics are welcomed.

For the Culture Session, we solicit papers dealing with all areas of
the folklore, literature, art, music, ethnography, and social
sciences of the peoples of the North and South Caucasus.

All abstracts for these sessions will be subjected to peer review. A
total of 30 minutes will be allotted for the presentation and
discussion of each paper accepted.  Normally this means 20 minutes
for the paper and 10 minutes for discussion, but the apportionment is
at the discretion of the speaker.  Time limits will be strictly
observed. Papers must be presented in English. No funds are available
to cover travel or housing costs.

If you are interested in participating a paper, please sent a one- to
two-page abstract of your proposed paper ideally via e-mail to
hia5 at midway.uchicago.edu or to the address below. Faculty members are
particularly requested to encourage graduate students to submit
abstracts. The deadline for receipt of abstracts is 1 October 2001.
You will be notified if your paper has been accepted for presentation
by 1 November 2001.

Chicago Conference on Caucasia
Department of  Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Chicago
1130 East  59th St.
Chicago, IL 60637

Telephone: 773-702-8033 * Fax: 773-702-7030 * slavic-department at uchicago.edu