Call for Papers

Justin Weir weir at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon May 21 15:38:05 UTC 2001

The Over-Examined Life: New Perspectives on Tolstoy

Monologist, moralist, (anti-)novelist, hyper-realist, and aristocratic bard
of peasant and field... We are all familiar with the accepted notions of
Tolstoy's art and thought. How can we experience the shock of the new again
in our approach to Tolstoy? How can we "defamiliarize" our cherished ideas
about the great defamiliarizer himself?

The Harvard University Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures and
Davis Center for Russian Studies will host a two-day conference on April 19-
20, 2002 devoted to new perspectives on the life and work of Lev Tolstoy.
This conference aims to bring together diverse approaches and revisit the
foundations of Tolstoy scholarship. We seek papers that explicitly address
much-beloved notions about the Great Master, and subject to critical
inquiry the traditions and familiar assumptions of interpreting Tolstoy.

Scholars interested in participating are invited to submit paper proposals
by September 1, 2001. Abstracts may be sent to Julie A. Buckler
(buckler at fas.harvard.edu) or Justin Weir (weir at fas.harvard.edu), Department
of Slavic Languages and Literatures, Harvard University, Barker Center, 12
Quincy Street, Cambridge, MA 02138.