how to send/receive email in cyrillic

Donald Loewen djloewen at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Sat May 26 19:24:10 UTC 2001

One problem could be the various encoding options.  I think that KOI-8 is
still quite popular in Russia, so people will need to have a program that
can switch encoding.  I saw one there (something about a Bat, I think) that
could switch a message's encoding from a right-click menu option, and then
saved the setting (KOI-8, etc.) with the message.  Otherwise they can just
cut and paste the text into a word processor like Word (that works better
than WordPerfect, at least in my experiments) and switch the font.  Usually
something will work.  It can also depend on the e-mail software. I'm using
Eudora 5 and still have occasional problems with Cyrillic.  If I open the
message in Outlook Express, it usually works better.  (As I re-read your
message, I see that you aren't necessarily sending the messages to Russia,
where people seem generally very capable in solving these
problems.)  Another option: open the text in a browser (like Internet
Explorer), where encoding switches are simple.
Good luck,
Don