Copyright Query: English to Russian translation

Benjamin Sher sher07 at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon May 28 11:54:03 UTC 2001

Dear friends:

My wife, who is a native of Moscow, is considering translating fiction from
English to Russian. She does not as yet have a specific book in mind.
However, we would appreciate finding out what the copyright regulations are.
We know that there are no copyright issues involved in translating pre-1973
books published in the Soviet Union into English. However, we would like to
know the situation in reverse: what are the regulations, restrictions, etc.,
that pertain to the translating  of English-language books published in the
United States, England, Canada, etc., into Russian? Is there a similar
pre-1973 cut-off date? We would appreciate hearing from someone who has had
to deal with this issue in his or her professional work.

Thank you so much.

Benjamin and Anna
--
Sher's Russian Web