Copyright Query: English to Russian

Ralph Cleminson ralph.cleminson at PORT.AC.UK
Tue May 29 08:54:13 UTC 2001

> Could someone please settle this issue for us?
>
> Does an English-to-Russian translator need copyright clearance for
> books published in the United States and Britian prior to 1973?

Under European law, an original piece of work is generally protected
for 70 years after the death of its creator.  I believe that a similar law
applies in the United States. The probable answer to your question,
therefore, is that you do need clearance unless the book was published
before 1931 AND its author died before that date.  However, a case of
copyright infringement occurs where the material is being used and a
potential breach of copyright occurs, not where the material was
created.  It is therefore necessary to consult the laws of the country in
which the translation is being made, published and distributed.  The
date of 1973 is completely irrelevant to the United States and Britain,
being the date when the Soviet Union adhered to the Berne Convention
on Copyright.

For matters relating to United States copyright law you can consult
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/.

R.M.Cleminson,
Professor of Slavonic Studies,
University of Portsmouth,
Park Building,
King Henry I Street,
Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
tel. +44 23 92 846143, fax: +44 23 92 846040