History of Slavonic languages

Genevra Gerhart ggerhart at HOME.COM
Wed May 30 01:30:06 UTC 2001

Dear Laura,
As you may have suspected, I'm much too old to accept "fun" as an adjective,
in any case.
It's a great pity that these professors do not find it worth their while to
write an interesting History of Slavonic Languages.
Regards,
Genevra Gerhart

http://www.members.home.net/ggerhart
New email address: ggerhart at home.com
206-329-0053

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of L. Friend
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 12:17 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: History of Slavonic languages

Professor Katarzyna A. Dziwirek of the University of Washington's
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures teaches an excellent
introductory course:

"SLAV 351 History of the Slavic Languages (5) VLPA
External and internal history of Slavic literary languages from the
beginnings to the present time, including the development of writing
systems, external attempts at reform, and the development of vocabulary."

Professor Herbert Coats of UW has regularly taught a very interesting --
yes, even fun -- graduate-level course entitled "Diachronic Slavic
Linguistics."

Both professors use their own packets of handouts, rather than a published
textbook.

Regards,

  Laura Friend, M.A.   "lcf at u.washington.edu"
  Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures    (206) 543-6848
  Language Learning Center                        (206) 685-9401
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA  98195-3580