History of Slavonic languages

Michael Younger michael.younger2 at BAESYSTEMS.COM
Thu May 31 03:29:33 UTC 2001

I think I read the comment differently than you do.  Rather than denigrating
the work that the professors in question have done, I see a hope expressed
that they will take the considerable work that they've done in collecting
materials and teaching and turn it into a good text (i.e., get it
published), in a field which may well be in need of good, accessible texts.
I hope so, too -- though I know it's an arduous and time-consuming task to
get materials ready for publication (!).  I think the recent discussion on
the list indicates there would be an interest in such a text.

Respectfully,

Michael Younger

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodney Patterson [mailto:krylya at HOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 2:44 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: History of Slavonic languages

I don't think Dean Worth was being "harsh" at all.  Look at Genevra's
sarcastic attempt at a put-down: "It's a great pity that these professors do
not find it worth their while to write an interesting History of Slavonic
Languages."  "These professors" have worked hard to make interesting
histories and have considered such work "worth their while."  They have
succeeded.  Scholars who are interested in the history of Slavic Languages
will find the work of "these professors" exhilarating.  People who are not
interested  may prefer an adventure novel.

Rodney L. Patterson
State University of New York, Albany