The Czech prosecute political views

Halimur Khan HKhan at MAIL.COLGATE.EDU
Mon Nov 5 20:11:48 UTC 2001

May be someone, perhaps those who object to postings such as those by Jan
Culic, could clarify what exactly is the purpose of SEELANGS? otherwise, you
see, things are becoming somewhat murky. For example, didn't many in our
profession teach and write about this very same topic (lack of the freedom
of speech--the Soviet Union--Solzhetin, Voinovich, etc. etc. etc.)and become
renowned slavists in the process? and, let's have that guideline that
separates literature from politics--because i can't think of one.

--Halimur Khan

-----Original Message-----
From: hia5 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU [mailto:hia5 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 11:29 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: The Czech prosecute political views

Here we go again!

Whatever the validity of the charges in this message are, they clearly have
nothing to do with Czech language or literature. I subscribe to lists that
concern themselves with political issues that are of importance to me. But,
subscribe to SEELANGS for information about "Slavic & East European
Languages and
Literature" (copied from the "To:" that I receive). In point of fact, I do
agree
with the poster, but I get too much irrelevant spam already to welcome this
message... and I apologize to all subscribers to SEELANGS for yet another
message
which has absolutely nothing to do with the purposes of SEELANGS. There is a
discipline called Political Science and other disciplines where such
messages are
absolutely relevant--but, if we have to flame, let it be about literary
and/or
linguistic topics. And for those who insist that such issues are relevant
for us-
-yes, they are--but not in SEELANGS!

Again, with apologies for violating my own guidelines,

Howie Aronson