"retreat"

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at ualberta.ca
Wed Nov 7 02:06:35 UTC 2001

The term in Ukrainian is *rekolekciji*, defined by
C. Andrusyshyn as an *exercise of piety and penitence;
religious retreat (for contemplation).* The term was used
and remains in use among Ukrainian Catholics.

I would hesitate to make generalizations about Ukrainian
Orthodox practices before the incorporation of Hetman
Ukraine into the Russian empire. These remain to be studied
in detail and on their own terms, without assuming that Russian
Orthodoxy represents some sort of default model.

N. Pylypiuk