Economic Revival in Russia

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Nov 19 14:47:25 UTC 2001

>For those of us who are ever on the lookout for good news from Russia
>to share with our students (and to encourage them to study Russian!),
>here is an upbeat article on the Russian Economy from the NY Times:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/18/international/europe/18RUSS.html

Similar good news were touted in August 98, just before the collapse. There
was a Georgetown professor writing about the growing middle class in
Russia. I guess that includes teachers and doctors who make in the
neighborhood of 500-600 rubles a month and receive their pay with a four
months delay.

Alina Israeli

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University                phone:  (202) 885-2387
4400 Mass. Ave., NW                     fax:    (202) 885-1076
Washington, DC 20016

aisrael at american.edu