matryoshka

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Nov 23 10:47:21 UTC 2001

As I was pondering further the deeper associations of Russian matryoshka
dolls, (and in particular, from an earlier thread on this list, the
significance of 'yo' in the second syllable) with Freud's Dora, I
suddenly recalled the old Perry Como hit of 1956 (apparently still going
strong in Finland) 'Glendora'. The first and last lines of the first
verse run:

'I'm in love with a dolly named 'Glendora'
Oh Glendora . . . I wanna see more of you!'

Very obviously a thinly veiled reference to Dora, and Freud's own
repressed feelings. I am still working on the Glen bit (suggestions
welcome) - but can Freud have actually written this song?

Will Ryan
Warburg Institute