lake vorota

Thu Nov 29 18:22:19 UTC 2001

gregg opelka wrote:

> i'm trying to locate a "lake vorota" in the sakha republic. is there
> such a place? does anyone know where it is? or can you steer me to a
> link to a good map?
>
> spasibo zaranee

The National Imaging and Mapping Agency (NIMA) maintains a database that
can be accessed at <http://164.214.2.59/gns/html/index.html>.

A search specifying place names beginning with "vorot-" returned the
following plausible hits:

Vorota Pass                     56°36'00" N     163°13'40" E
Vorota triangulation station    56°44'15" N     162°48'40" E
Vorota Rock                     52°57'30" N     158°49'20" E

None of these is a lake, admittedly, and they're on Kamchatka, but
that's all they had.

Unfortunately, specifying "contains 'vorota'" would return hundreds of
hits...

You may want to play around with adjectival forms or double-check your
source. Could we have the name used in a Russian sentence?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com