Independent Study

C. QATHE2001 at EXCITE.COM
Thu Oct 4 19:14:20 UTC 2001

Forgive a lowly undergraduate for infiltrating your ranks, but I'm desperate
for knowledge. I want to study Russian but am looking for it through either
online courses or correspondence courses, at the college level. I'm
currently a student at an Atlanta-area university.

My university currently offers it, but only as long as a set number of
students sign up for it. So one might have to wait a year or more after
taking one course to be able to take the next. I wouldn't want to lose the
language in the interim. I was in a first-semester Russian  course and LOVED
it, but had to withdraw (for reasons other than the course itself).

I've done some research on the Internet and by asking people in my college's
Foreign Language department. I've found some on the Internet from schools
like the Univ. of Oklahoma and in Arizona, but the costs for these courses
range from $425-600+. Can any of you recommend a good and hopefully cheaper
set of courses? E-mail me offlist if you like.

I was also curious as to how one can retain a foreign language after
attaining a high level of it...if you (a) aren't using it daily in a job or
(b) living in an area where it is spoken.