International Symposium in Tokyo

Mitsu Numano mitsu at SYMPHONY.PLALA.OR.JP
Sun Oct 14 05:15:02 UTC 2001

International Symposium “Tokyo – Moscow 2001: A Roundtable of Russian and
Japanese Writers”

   I am happy to announce that we are going go hold an international
symposium “Tokyo – Moscow 2001: A Roundtable of Russian and Japanese
Writers” in Sanjo Conference Hall on the campus of the University of Tokyo
(7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033 Japan) with the participation of 6
Russian writers: Akunin, Gandlevsky, Kuritsyn, Pelevin, Sorokin,
Tolstaya.   The official languages will be Russian and Japanese.  All the
events to be held within the framework of our symposium are open to the
general public.  Everybody who is interested is welcome.   For inquiry,
please contact by e-mail at sakkakaigi at hotmail.com (secretariat), mitsu at l.u-
tokyo.ac.jp (Mitsuyoshi Numano) or by fax at +81-3-5841-8967.

           October 14, 2001  Mitsuyoshi Numano (The University of Tokyo,
                                       Chairperson of the “Orgkomitet”)

Program:

October 26 (Fri.), 2001  Literary Seminars with Russian Wirters
10:00-11:20 Seminar with Vladimir Sorokin.  Chair: T. Mochizuki (Hokkaido
Univ.)
11:30-12:50 Seminar with Vyacheslav Kuritsyn.  Chair: H.Kaizawa (Waseda
Univ.)  14:00-15:20 Seminar with Tatiana Tolstaya.  Chair: Kyoko Numano
(TUFS)
15:30-16:50 Seminar with Victor Pelevin.  Chair: Mitsu Numano (The Univ. of
Tokyo)

October 27 (Sat.), 2001
International Symposium: Toward the Literature of the New Millennium
10:30-13:00 Part One: The Contemporary World and the Possibilities of the
Novel
Chair: Ikuo Kameyama (Tokyo Univ. of Foreign Studies)
Panelists: Tatiana Tolstaya, Vladimir Sorokin, Victor Pelevin, Shozo Fujii
(The Univ. of Tokyo), Motoyuki Shibata (The Univ. of Tokyo)
14:00-16:30 Part Two: Literature in the Age of Mass Culture
Chair: Mitsu Numano (The Univ. of Tokyo)
Panelists: Boris Akunin, Sergei Gandlevsky, Vyacheslav Kuritsyn, Masahiko
Shimada, Masashi Miura