Margarita's actors speaking Russian list

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Wed Oct 17 15:55:48 UTC 2001

>-----------------------
>Sender:       Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
>              <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
>Poster:       "VANCHU, ANTHONY J. (JSC-AH) (TTI)"
>              <anthony.j.vanchu1 at JSC.NASA.GOV>
>Subject:      Re: Margarita's actors speaking Russian list
>
>How about Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October for worst movie-Russian
>ever?  It's a rather painful opening few minutes.

I absolutely agree with Tony. Connery and Sam Neill speak Russian
several times in the movie, each time in atrociously pronounced,
grammatically uninflected pseudo-sentences. Alec Baldwin was
a *little* more credible.
And this is a movie that HAD Russian actors in it, speaking normally !!

Leslie Davis is right to bring up *Reds*. Beatty and Keaton play
Americans speaking Russian, so their accents are not a bother.
And am I right in remembering that that was Jerzy Kosinski playing
Dzherzhinsky?? So long ago ...
-FR

Francoise Rosset                          phone:  (508) 286-3696
Russian and Russian Studies               fax:    (508) 286-3640
Wheaton College                           e-mail: frosset at wheatonma.edu
Norton, Massachusetts 02766