Holy Fools question

Natalie O. Kononenko nkm at UNIX.MAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU
Thu Oct 18 17:12:41 UTC 2001

Dear List members,
        I got the question below from a former student and I
cannot answer it.  Can some of you help?  You can reply
directly to her at: dtapp at midsouth.rr.com or you can post to
the list.  I think this question is of enough general interest
that others might want to know the answer.  I, for one, would
indeed like to know.

Natalie Kononenko

Denise Tapp's question:

>From my remote outpost in Memphis, I am attempting to research
Holy Fools, specifically Basil the Blessed.  For some reason, I
recall learning (25 years ago!) that Ivan IV never actually
encountered Basil, who died prior to Ivan's reign, however,
most of the information I can locate comes from Orthodox Church
sources and they detail a long and interesting personal
relationship between the two men.