painting of beards

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Oct 18 18:28:44 UTC 2001

Dear Seelangers,

A student of mine is researching beards in Russian cultural history. He's
found sources on Orthodoxy, Peter the Great's tax, Lomonosov's hymn. I'd
like to give him some visual material to work with. I recall at least one
painting in which beards figure prominently (something about the old beards
and the new...) but haven't been able to locate it. Does this ring a bell
to anyone?

Russell Valentino