Holy Fools question

Mary Delle LeBeau marydelle at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Oct 19 06:34:51 UTC 2001

Dear Denise,

Take a look at the article by Yury Lotman and B.A. Uspenskiy entitled
"New aspects in the study of early Russian culture".  It has an
excellent discussion of the holy fool and you will also find some
very good references for you in its bibliography.  You can find it in
the book <italic>The Semiotics of Russian Culture</italic>, a collection of essays by
the same authors.  If you can't locate it, let me know and I will
send you a copy of it.

Their essay does not deal with Basil the Blessed, but does mention
Ivan IV and is a very interesting and important discussion of the
Russian holy fool.

I have a special fondness for this very theme is Russian history.  I
would love you to send me any interesting ideas or references you
come across.

Yours,

Mary Delle LeBeau

marydelle at earthlink.net