painting of beards

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu Oct 18 20:32:02 UTC 2001

>A student of mine is researching beards in Russian cultural history.

There is the famous lubok of a Russian gentleman getting his beard
cut after Peter's edict. He's probably run into that one already.

I don't know THE exact painting you have in mind, but here's where
I'd look:
There are many traditional-looking men with beards in the paintings
of the Peredvizhniki and their immediate successors, and in paintings
associated with the "Russian style" revival of the late nineteenth
century. Try paintings by Nikolai Roerich (*Panteleimon the Healer*),
Aleksandr Golovin (designs for *Boris Godunov*) , Grigorii Miasoyedov
(*Zemstvo Dining* and *Reapers/Mowers*), Vasilii Maksimov (*Sorcerer
at Peasant Wedding*), the Vasnetsovs, and pretty much anything by Boris
Kustodiev or Ivan Bilibin.
Later you get the cylindrical beards on Malevich's peasants.

There are also paintings of bearded Russian Jews, of course.
Goncharova's *Sabbath* and Chagall's Vitebsk paintings come to mind.

I just took a quick look at Nesterova's *The Itinerants*, Petrov's
*Russian Art Nouveau* and Kirichenko/Anikst's *Russian Design.*
I don't think your painting is in there, but I may be wrong, and at
any rate, many others bearded paintings are.
I hope this helps, -FR

Francoise Rosset                          phone:  (508) 286-3696
Russian and Russian Studies               fax:    (508) 286-3640
Wheaton College                           e-mail: frosset at wheatonma.edu
Norton, Massachusetts 02766