Urban Planning in the Soviet Union

Charles Price charlesprice_50 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 19 19:24:15 UTC 2001

"Housing Construction in the Soviet Union", Progress
Publishers, 1974
Chapter headings:
1.The cost of building a flat in the USSR
2.The Historical background
3.Science and Organisation of building work
4.Designing accommodation in the USSR
5.Industrial building methods
6.The Aesthetics of Housing Architecture
7.Architects and Builders
8.The Future is Born Today
9.Friendly Assistance

Published in English, this is an interesting,
sometimes amusing and slightly Stakhanovite overview
("The USSR completes work on five modern flats every
five minutes"). As sovietologists would expect there
is an avalanche of numerical and tabulated data and
even a nice pull-out diagram of a pre-fab assembly
plant.

Unintentionally the book might provide today's student
with insights into the psychology of mass housing
planning in the USSR, with the dissonant but typical
blend of prominent ideology, aesthetics,
utilitarianism and soviet heroism that characterised
much of the Soviet social science.

Regards,
CP

Dear colleagues,