Rostopchina's Poedinok/AAASS 2002

Ian Helfant ihelfant at MAIL.COLGATE.EDU
Wed Oct 31 20:26:12 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues --

I am interested in presenting a paper at the 2002 AAASS conference in
Pittsburg on E. Rostopchina's story "Poedinok," primarily in relation to
Pushkin's Vystrel, Lermontov's Geroi nashego vremeni, and perhaps works of
Bestuzhev-Marlinsky.  I view the topic as part of a larger project of
analyzing women authors' criticism of predominantly male cultural
institutions (high stakes gambling and dueling are two examples). If you
are putting together a panel for which this paper might make a good fit,
please let me know.  I am also wondering if anyone has encountered reviews
in contemporary journals (or any mention by contemporaries) of
Rostopchina's story (which was published alongside her "Chiny i den'gi" in
Polevoi's Syn otechestva in 1838, then published in 1839 together
with "Chiny i den'gi" as a separate edition entitled Ocherki bol'shogo
sveta.  Zapiski Iasnovidiashchei).  Please reply off-list.  Thanks! --
Ian Helfant (Colgate University)