Bulgarian/Russian

Becky Post bpost at FFLAX.NET
Sat Sep 15 12:24:34 UTC 2001

Dear SEELANGERS,

I teach high school Russian and this year a girl from Bulgaria is in my
class.  She doesn't know Russian, but of course knows Cyrillic and there is
a lot of similarity between Bulgarian and Russian.   I don't know Bulgarian,
but would like the advice of someone who does.   Would it be more
appropriate to move this girl from Russian I to Russian II right away?   The
Russian II class is reviewing now, but they of course already know quite a
bit of vocabulary and grammar.  I'd appreciate the opinion of someone who
knows both languages.

It happens that my Russian I and Russian II students meet together, the same
hour, same classroom (not an ideal situation, of course).   Therefore, it
would not cause a schedule change to move her.   It also means she could
transition from one level to the other more easily.

Thanks.
Becky Post