Bulgarian/Russian

Vladimir Katkovski Katkovski at OSI.HU
Sun Sep 16 16:55:19 UTC 2001

As a person who
1) lived for four years in Bulgaria and
2) has nearly native knowledge of Russian (I come from Belarus)
I can testify that most Bulgarians have very little problems with vocabulary
(Bulgarian and Russian has probably much more common words than, let's say,
Belarusan and Russian) and no problems with reading (they use cyrillics),
but they have AWFUL A LOT of problems with grammar. In fact, Bulgarian
grammar is very different from other Slavic languages and in some ways it is
more similar to English grammar than Russian. So, on average, Bulgarians
need to concentrate on grammar a lot. I don't know how it helps you in your
situation. Maybe, she is taking your course for an easy A :-).

-----Original Message-----
From: Becky Post
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Sent: 15.09.01 14:24
Subject: Bulgarian/Russian

Dear SEELANGERS,

I teach high school Russian and this year a girl from Bulgaria is in my
class.  She doesn't know Russian, but of course knows Cyrillic and there
is
a lot of similarity between Bulgarian and Russian.   I don't know
Bulgarian,
but would like the advice of someone who does.   Would it be more
appropriate to move this girl from Russian I to Russian II right away?
The
Russian II class is reviewing now, but they of course already know quite
bit of vocabulary and grammar.  I'd appreciate the opinion of someone
who
knows both languages.

It happens that my Russian I and Russian II students meet together, the
same
hour, same classroom (not an ideal situation, of course).   Therefore,
it
would not cause a schedule change to move her.   It also means she could
transition from one level to the other more easily.