the Caucasus

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Sep 17 00:11:22 UTC 2001

Dear Professor Hokanson,

If you read Ukrainian, I suggest including among this literature
the poem "Kavkaz" (18 November 1845), which Taras Shevchenko
(1814-61) dedicated to his friend and fellow artist,
Jakiv de Bal'men, who died in the Caucasus on 26 July 1845.

The poem, a powerful invective and meditation on a political theme, is
a good example of anti-colonial literature. It was published for the
first time in Leipzig, in 1859, in a volume entitled
*Novye stixotvorenija Pushkina i Shevchenki.*

Best wishes,
Natalia Pylypiuk

[...]
>In my own work I have been very interested
>in the literature written during the Russian conquest of the Caucasus
>in the nineteenth century, and the issues which I have encountered
>now take on a new dimension after Tuesday's events.

[...]