grief in Erzya and Moksha

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Sep 17 01:15:19 UTC 2001

In the seventies and early eighties there were many political
prisoners (of various nationalities, especially Ukrainians) in
the following Mordovian labor camps: Barashevo, Pot'ma,
and Javas.

Among those who did survive, some have emigrated to the USA.
I do not know whether they had opportunities to interact with
the indigenous populations, but it might be worthwhile to ask
them.

I also suggest turning to cultural anthropologists.  I am not
acquainted with anyone working in that part of the world, but
you might wish to look up Professor David Andersen
(at Aberdeen) who has contacts with scholars in this discipline.

N. Pylypiuk