Noam Chomsky: On the Bombings

Galina Rylkova grylkova at UFL.EDU
Mon Sep 17 03:09:23 UTC 2001

> From: Ralph Bogert <rbogert at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA>
> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:26:43 CANADA/EASTERN
> To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
> Subject: Re: Noam Chomsky: On the Bombings
>
>> In the wake of absolute calamity, Mr Oukashine did the subscribers of this
> Languages and Literatures List a disservice by propagating the political
> opinions of third parties.   The vacuity and faineancy of the frequent
> sophomoric submissions and inquiries posted here, noted by colleagues Goscilo
> and Flier, pale in comparison to Mr. Oukashine's benighted instigation.

Judging by his e-mail address Mr. Oushakine resides somewhere in the area of
NY. What his posting showed to me was that professionalism -- ability to
analyze and to try to understand -- die hard. I doubt that Lidiia Ginzburg
would have been particularly popular with her fellow-Leningraders  had they
had a chance to read some of the passages from her "Zapiski blokadnogo
cheloveka" at the time when they were being written. Here is one such
passage: "I eta zhenshchina, uteshaiushchaiasia rol¹iu distroficheskoi
isterichki, bessoznatel¹no delaet svoe delo ­ tem, chto prishla siuda
zakazyvat¹ plat¹e, kak mozhno bolee krasivoe, i tem, chto poidet seichas na
prostrelivaemuiu tramvainuiu ostanovku. I vse stolpivshiesia zdes¹ liudi ­ v
tom chisle lamentiruiushchie, uzhasaiushchiesia, ukloniaiushchiesia, -
povinuias¹ srednei norme povedeniia, vypolniaiut svoiu istoricheskuiu
funktsiiu leningradtsev." (the last word in italics)

--
Galina S. Rylkova
Assistant Professor of Russian