Pilgrimage and Russian Orthodoxy.

Julie Cassiday Julie.A.Cassiday at WILLIAMS.EDU
Thu Sep 27 15:04:35 UTC 2001

Dear Seelangers,
I'm an undergrad writing a thesis on Dostoevsky's great novels.  I'm researching the cultural context of his works right now--namely, pilgrimage in Russian Orthodoxy.  I've managed to find general works on the theory of pilgrimage, for example, books by Victor Turner.  However, I've found little on the history and cultural significance of pilgrimage in the Russian Orthodox Church.  Where might I find information on the practice of pilgrimage within Russian, particularly in the 19th century?  Any information you can give me I would really appreciate.
Please respond off-list to 02kkd at williams.edu.
Thank you!
Katherine Desormeau