Yarillo spring festival

Mary Delle LeBeau marydelle at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Sep 27 16:59:27 UTC 2001

Dear SEELANGers,

I am doing research on the Rite of Spring by Stravinsky.  I have been
trying to find a document on Slavic mythology that describes the
sacrifice to the god Yarillo that Stravinsky and Roerich use as the
basis of the story in the Rite.  I've found many descriptions of the
Yarillo spring festival, but no mention of a sacrifice.  I know that
Roerich did archeological research and may have encountered this
pagan practice in his work, but I've so far been able to find no such
reference myself.

Can anyone suggest a book or other reference that points to the
Slavic pagan practice of sacrifice during the Yarillo spring festival?

You can send any ideas to me off-list at marydelle at earthlink.net.  I
give you my profuse thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Yours,

Mary Delle LeBeau