Ay-y..looking for fellow panelists (sovrem. rus. lit. )

Vladimir Bilenkin achekhov at UNITY.NCSU.EDU
Mon Dec 2 03:09:40 UTC 2002

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for a couple of adventurous scholars who are interested in
what's been going on in rus lit under the new capitalist regime of literary
production
and cultural accumulation.  I have in mind broad issues like, for example the
restructuring of
the literary field, diverse manifestations of commodification and alienation  in
post-Soviet Russian literature,
the ideology of literature and the writer,  problems with transplanting late
bourgeois  ideology
into Russian literary tradition and the attendant attempts to "deconstruct"
classical and Soviet heritage. There is
also a kind of a black hole topic of cultural imperialism as a force shaping the
literary process in Russia.
Why, say, Pelevin is a part of respectable US scholarship while the name of
Iurii Polyakov is not even mentioned
in the MLA Bibliography? Why certain contemporary Russian authors get studied,
translated, published and reviewed in the West
while other contemporary authors do not?  How this selectivity of imperial
academe may or may not inspire the genius of
rus lit today?  In short, there is a whole new "virgin land" to plow for
theoretically and socially conscious scholars.

With three of us our clandestine cell can take a form of a "panel" at the 2003
meeting of the SOUTHERN
CONFERENCE ON SLAVIC STUDIES, scheduled to take place in Savannah, Georgia
on March 27-30, 2003.  The host hotel is DeSoto Hilton which offers the
proletarian rate
of $139.00 a night, single or double occupancy.  In addition, I'll buy drinks
before and after the "panel."

(This is NOT some kind of a Halloween prank, I am as serious as the management
of the DeSoto Hilton)

Please respond privately.  Panel and paper proposals (brief abstracts and 1-pg.
c.v.'s) are due by 1 December 2002.
Doklady na russkom privetstvuiutsia!

Vladimir Bilenkin,
Professor of Russian,
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures,
Box 8106,
North Carolina State University,
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8106
Tel.: 919-515-9316