2003 calendar: "Women of Belarus"

curt fredric woolhiser cfwoolhiser at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Dec 4 22:42:23 UTC 2002

I'm glad to hear that this series is continuing. It should be
mentioned that for 2001 the Center for Gender Studies at EHU
published (with support from Rutgers University) a beautiful calendar
in Belarusian, "Shliakhi da svabody: Zhanchyny Belarusi" (Paths to
Liberation: Women of Belarus), with biographical sketches on such
important figures in the cultural and political history of Belarus as
Maryja Bahushevich, Alaiza Pashkevich (Tsiotka), Maryja Mahdalena
Radzivil, Kanstancyja Bujlo, Zos'ka Veras, Esfir Frumkina, Khasia
Pruslina, Larysa Henijush and Natallia Arsenneva, among others.
        I understand that the switch from Belarusian to Russian and
English in the last two calendars was dictated both by content and
market considerations -- their potential audience is clearly not
limited to Belarus and the Belarusian diaspora. Still, it would have
been a nice gesture to Belarusian speakers (including doubly
marginalized Belarusian-speaking women!) to include captions in
Belarusian as well as Russian and English.

Curt Woolhiser

Curt F. Woolhiser
Dept. of Slavic Languages
and Literatures