Folklore and Literature Panel

gsafran at STANFORD.EDU gsafran at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Dec 13 15:04:21 UTC 2002

Dear Colleagues,
We are looking for a third paper, a chair, and a commentator for a
panel for AAASS 2003.  The title is "Style and Stylization:  Literature
and Folklore in the Russian Empire."  Thus far we have two papers on
two Silver Age writers (Nikolai Kliuev and S. An-sky) who studied
folklore, wrote folkloric stylizations, and in some way modeled their
own lives (or were imagined by others) as folkloric figures.  Kliuev
wrote in Russian, An-sky in Russian and Yiddish; the third paper might
deal with any of the languages of the Empire.  We would welcome
participation by scholars of literature, history, or anthropology.
Please write back to either of us if you are interested or know someone
who might be.

Gabriella Safran (gsafran at stanford.edu) and Alexander Ogden
(ogden at sc.edu)

----- End forwarded message -----