Middlebury Russian School - '02

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Fri Feb 1 19:16:34 UTC 2002

The Middlebury Russian School will offer expanded programming at the
undergraduate and graduate levels in the summer 2002 session.

Undergraduate instruction will take place in the 9-week program, from
June 14-August 16, 2002.  We will offer classes at every level of
instruction from 1st through 4th year, with courses at the mid-points
between each major course level.  Classes meet four hours a day, five
days a week.  For more information, see
<http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/Russian/curriculum/courses.html>.

Graduate instruction will take place in the 6-week program, from July
1-August 16.  Courses offered in the summer 2002 graduate program are:

Civilization
Alexander Logunov (RGGU): Russian History 1917-Present, Russian
National Historical Psychology
Maria Tendriakova (RGGU):  Religions of Russia, The Holy Fool in
Russian Culture
Galina Aksenova (Independent Scholar): Women in Russian Cinema
Nelly Zhuravlyova (SUNY-Albany): Readings in the Contemporary Press

Language, Linguistics and Literature
Ilya Vinitsky (U. of Pittsburgh):  Akhkmatova, Gogol's Dead Souls
Elena Zemskaya (MGU): New Trends in the Russian Language, Word Formation
Nelly Zhuralyova (SUNY-Albany):  Advanced Grammar
Svetlana Stepanova (St. Petersburg State U.):  Advanced Phonetics

For more information about the graduate program, see
<http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/Russian/curriculum/graduate.html>.

This summer we will offer a new 3-week program for heritage learners
of Russian.  This course, taught by Tatyana Akishina of USC, will run
from July 22-August 16, 2002.  For more information, see
<http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/Russian/heritage.html>.

The cultural program for the summer of 2002 promises to be very
excited.  We are expecting a week-long visit by famous Russian
filmmaker, Pavel Loungine (director of Taxi Blues, Luna Park, and The
Wedding), as well as a week-long visit by a Russian folk ensemble
from Saratov.  This year our choir will be conducted by Nina
Savitskaya (formerly of the Norwich Russian School) and our play will
be directed by Sergei Kokovkin and Nina Rodionova (also formerly of
the Norwich Russian School.)

Financial aid is available.  Applications for admission and
applications for financial aid may be downloaded from the website
<http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/general_info/admissions.html>; you may
also call (802) 443-5510 or e-mail <languages at middlebury.edu> to
request that applications be mailed to you.

For more information, contact Benjamin Rifkin, director of the Russian School.

--

Benjamin Rifkin

Professor of Slavic Languages, Slavic Dept., UW-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI  53706 USA
voice: 608/262-1623; fax: 608/265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic/rifkin/

Director of the Russian School
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT  05753
voice:  802/443-5533; fax: 802/443-5394
http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/Russian/