Jat' on-line?

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Wed Feb 6 02:14:29 UTC 2002

>Is there an on-line, readable, dictionary in pre-reform (1917) spelling?  I

I also put the same query about a year ago, had no responses at all,
and tried searching in the internet. What I finally got is an alternative
version of "russpell" (this is, in turn a Russian version of "ispell")
adapted for the old spelling. I forgot the web site address and the
author's name, but I am sure you can find them.
  As to the original question, I say, no. The author has made his software
freely available to the public via internet, but does not provide the
service "on-line". I vaguely remember he was a physicist living in the US.
  I have copied Romashkevich (7th edition) to digital
media and use it privately. It is much smaller than the one in the web
site mentioned, but serves my purpose. (His is not based
on a particular dictionary. I find it extremely inconvenient. And besides,
I don't need words of Soviet origin.)

  I have once written a software that converted new spelling back to
the old (in 1980s), but having lost the interest, I seem to have lost it. When
computer memory was scarce, you needed an efficient program, but these
days, you can open a whole list of word forms in another window of your
favorite word processor and search any one of them (a million word
forms occupy "only" 10 megabytes or less).

  A piece of advice. For most people, digitized Dal' suffices
in determining jat'. Your software assistant may be able to extract
the list of words from Dal'...

Good luck and cheers,

Tsuji

-----
P.S.
For those who use Microsoft's operating system, I say, you need
a unicode font to handle jat' and thita ("Palatino Linotype" is
most recommended. It comes with Office98 or later). Dal' uses
its own fonts (it uses vowels with stress marks, which is not
coded in ordinary Russian alphabet encodings).