Study in St. P.

Kat Tancock kat at INTERDESIGN.CA
Thu Feb 7 16:29:01 UTC 2002

Hi,

What your student should be doing is researching this on the internet. That
is where the most up-to-date travel information is always located, though of
course not always reputable!

One site I would recommend is the St. Petersburg hostel:

http://www.ryh.ru/index.htm

I would also recommend going to the Lonely Planet website:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com

They have a section about travel in Russia, as well as a wonderful message
board system called the Thorn Tree, where one can post questions about
travel in various parts of the world. I have always found this a very
helpful resource, as lots of experienced travellers frequent the message
boards. Also, he will find information from people closer to his own age. :)

The other thing to do is to go to a bookstore and look at the travel guides,
which tend to have honest information about any dangers in travelling.
Again, I recommend Lonely Planet, though I'm also fond of the Rough Guide
series. He doesn't need to buy them, as the best use of these awful new book
superstores is to sit on their couches and read without necessarily having
to buy anything.

Kat Tancock