Frere Jacques

Ellen R. Langer ERLanger at IX.NETCOM.COM
Wed Feb 13 02:26:46 UTC 2002

Dear Mark,

The Czech version of Frere Jaques I know goes

Bratre Kubo, Bratre Kubo,
Jeste spis, jeste spis?
Venku slunce zari,
ti si na polstari,
Vstavej jiz, vstavej jiz.

(Sorry about the lack of hacky and carky.)

I believe it is or was pretty widely known among Czech children, because I
first found it in a children's music book. Interestingly, when I use it
teaching Czech, I find that American students don't know it.

Ellen Langer