Gusar, gusarskii

Lauren Leighton laurengl at PTWI.NET
Sun Feb 17 19:03:48 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Elena Gapova
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 11:19 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Gusar, gusarskii

In a back issue of SEEJ (ca. 1963?) you will find an article by me on Denis
Davydov's Hussar style. The word has no "blank" meaning for me--for some
reason or other hussars had a greater reputation for being "udalye" than,
say, grenadiers or cuirassiers. I know this is true for English military
tradition, and probably also for French. I would appreciate it if you would
let me know what you come up with in response to your request. Cheers.
Lauren Leighton (Mr., not Ms.).

Dear list,

I am looking for a "culturally adequate" English translation of the words
gusar and gusarskii. Hussar to me (as a non-English speaker) is absolutely
blank; is there a word or a phrase with more or less the same connotations,
i.e.  including gusarskaya udal', gusarskii naskok, i.e. very specific
masculinity? Kogda polk gusar vhodit v gorod, tam nachinaetsya
nastoyashchaya zhizn'...

I would appreciate any help,
Elena Gapova