Three questions/requests

Derek Maus mausdc at POTSDAM.EDU
Mon Feb 18 18:00:45 UTC 2002

Christopher Putney's book _Russian Devils and Diabolic Conditionality in
Nikolai Gogol's Evenings on a Farm Near Dikanka_ (New York: Peter Lang,
1999) has a lot of information not only about various forms of "chur" (I'm
not sure offhand if he discusses the particular one you mentioned in item
#2 of your e-mail) and definitely covers Gogol's folkloric background in
significant detail. I don't have it in front of me, but I seem to remember
Merezhkovskii's _Gogol' i chort_ discussing this as well, but I could be
misremembering.

        Derek

Derek Maus
Assistant Professor of English and Communication
SUNY College at Potsdam
244 Morey Hall
Potsdam, NY 13676
(315) 267-2196