Three questions/requests

James Bailey jobailey at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Mon Feb 18 23:06:34 UTC 2002

Francoise Rosset

At 11:59 AM 2/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>My ignorance shows, I'm afraid. Any help on any of these here would be
>appreciated.
>Feel free to write off-list at: frosset at wheatonma.edu.
>
>(1) One of my students asked about the Russian version of Ovid's
>"Metamorphosis." I assumed he meant Kafka's version, not a Russian one,
>esp. since he says it has to do with beetles.
>But am I missing something obvious here?  Besides some odd human
>regressions in "The Cave," and perhaps some of Sadur's stories, is there
>something we consider a Russian version of "Metamorphosis"?
>
>(2) Can someone point me to a good source that *identifies* the "hex"
>signs carved at the very edge of the long wooden eaves on Russian izbas
>and churches? I've been looking, but haven't found anything except for a
>reasonable description of the "gromovoj znak," which I now think I can
>recognize. I can differentiate the other designs, I just don't know which
>elements they evoke/invoke/protect against.
>
>3) Students who took both the folklore and the lit class noticed
>the coincidence between Gogol' and one of the devil's names "Gogol'"
>(Ivanits' *Folk Belief,* Ch. 3 identifies the origin of the devil's
>name from "gogol'" the duck. Presumably that is also the origin of the
>surname).
>I have not found anything that discusses this in relation to Gogol's name.
>Again, what am I missing?
>-- Was Gogol' aware of this ... I gather his knowledge of folk-lore was
>purely second-hand?
      This is often what is repeated about Gogol and folklore.  I think the
truth is that he had an excellent knowledge of Ukrainian folklore and that
he drew upon it fairly consistently for most of his writing career.  This
is a question that an ethnographer should really handle in detail.
      James Bailey