Physical Culture Day

Jack Kollmann jack.kollmann at STANFORD.EDU
Sun Feb 24 06:02:06 UTC 2002

         I know of 3 video series with great footage of the physical
culture parades of the 1930s.

         The easiest to obtain (no guarantees) is probably "Red Empire," 7
tapes, 5 hours?, Granite Production for Yorkshire Television, hosted by
Robert Conquest, 1990.  See Part 3, "Class Warriors" (re: collectivization)
and Part 4, "Enemies of the People" (purges).

         "Stalin," in 3 hour-long parts, exec. producer Philip Whitehead,
written and produced by Tony Cash, Thames Television PLC, co-produced by
WGBH, Boston, 1990.  See Part 2, "Despot."  Companion book by Jonathan
Lewis and Philip Whitehead:  "Stalin:  A Time for Judgement," Pantheon
Books, 1990.

         "Stalin, the Red Tsar," in 5 parts (about 2 1/2 hours?), Channel
54, producer Paul Neuburg, Director Howard Ross, London Weekend Television,
1978.

         If anyone finds where and how to buy copies of any of these,
please advise.

Jack Kollmann
Stanford University